The Mushroom Urban Farmer
English, Portuguese, French
Join a Lisbon entrepreneur who recycles coffee waste into mushrooms and pioneers the circular economy movement in the city.
Live the life of a young Lisbon entrepreneur who runs an urban farm that promotes what's called 'circular economy' in the city. Powered by coffee waste. Few people know but a cup of coffee only contains 1% of the coffee's total biomass, the remaining 99% is considered waste. Still rich in nutrients, coffee grounds that are not used are an excellent substrate for producing delicious mushrooms.
AVG. PER DAY
Starting right away with the basic.
Get to know the founder, the team and the farm. Then, you'll start the activities right away! Begin with receiving and analyzing coffee waste and harvesting mushrooms everyday.
You are already part of the team.
Get involved in brainstorming, gathering feedbacks and inputs with the team! Then, you'll assemble kits, prepare them for shipping and spend some time at the vegetable gardens and doing tours. From this point, you'll help delivering the products to clients!
Learn all the science and the business.
Let's get technical! You'll learn the process of transferring incubated bags to fructification, store fertilizer, and prepare straw. At the end of the week, you'll help the team search for potential new clients.
Maximize your time with the farm & team.
Recycle and repeat! This is the time for you to choose on what you want to focus on doing and what you'd want to learn from the team.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
Learn the whole production process of transforming coffee waste into delicious oyster mushrooms.
Shadow the day-to-day life of a startup CEO, learn more about the business and the circular economy.
Prepare the mushroom into a beautiful looking product that is ready to ship and sell to the end consumers.
Get involved in the farm's tour, educational programs, and real-time events that might take place.
Search for new clients and help the team deliver to restaurants all over the city from their urban farm.
WHERE YOU'LL IMMERSE
The Lisbon lifestyle
The Lisboetas know how to live! With 3,000 hours of sun, the coasts and the rise of the tech and creative scene, you have to live it to believe it.
The startup community
With ten years of Web Summit, amazing tech talents and the rise of entrepreneurs flocking into the city, Lisbon is Europe's newest capital of startups.
The sustainable city
As the winner of the European Green Capital 2020, Lisbon enhances the quality of life of its citizens by prioritizing environmental sustainability.
The oldest nation in Europe, combined with its Atlantic coastline and islands result in a very traditional yet dynamic identity.
The agriculture industry
Agriculture is a Portuguese essence. One of the world's top exporters of tomatoes, wine corks and a thriving fish industry.
WHERE YOU'LL BE
The World's New Capital of Cool
All materials, logistics from (the starting point), and activities listed in the itinerary are included.
Contact us if something doesn't go as planned. We'll try to get you a similar experience in the city.
Limited liability insurance
This host covers the risk of injury to you during your entire activity in the farm.
This host and itinerary has been verified by our team before for quality and safety.
Receive a completion certificate to boost your CV with the specific skills you'll learn.
Get help from our support team in case you need it throughout your entire experience.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
You are responsible to get to the starting point of the experience. Once you book it, your host will tell you the best way to get there.